Each of the 21 processes described by the Student-Athlete Academic Initiative Working Group are reviewed regularly by a broad base of participants to ensure oversight and effective monitoring.
The Student-Athlete Academic Initiative Working Group identified and compiled recommendations from reports over the past several years and linked each report recommendation to 21 academic processes. Report Recommendations for Ongoing Review & Improvement of Processes
21.0 Ongoing Review and Improvement of Processes
UNC will continue to support an atmosphere of academic and athletic excellence. Based on ongoing review of academic processes for student-athletes, and in consultation with the Faculty Athletics Committee, the Provost and Athletics Director’s Executive Committee on Student-Athlete Academics considers matters related to the academic experience of student-athletes and makes process changes and improvements when necessary.
In this time of substantial change for collegiate athletics, ongoing environmental scanning is necessary. UNC will continue to monitor national and conference level changes and make institutional changes accordingly.
In their review and monitoring of academic processes for student athletes, the Executive Committee on Student-Athlete Academics collaborates with the Faculty Athletics Committee to:
- Lead innovative thinking and approaches to the academic experience of student-athletes.
- Collaborate on process improvement efforts, share information, and bring forward issues and trends that impact the academic experiences of student-athletes.
- Recommend changes and improvements to processes.
- Communicate and coordinate with relevant departments to monitor, review, assess and document academic processes related to student-athletes to ensure that these processes always strengthen and support the academic integrity of the University.
- Provide regular and objective reporting to the Chancellor.
- Maintain the Academic Processes for Student Athletes website to ensure that it accurately describes what we are doing and how we are doing it.